Task 1 – Our Main Audience
The most appropriate approaches for segmentation
|Targeting Behaviour – pros||Targeting Location – pros||Targeting Psychographic – pros|
|Allows for us to see what customers are searching for when looking for barbers in Manchester||Allows us to see where the customers are when searching for barbers||Allows us to find the values, attitudes and interests of the customers|
|Shows us key words used to find barbers||We can see if they search whilst out and about in the city centre||Allows us to see what influences the customers (Instagram)|
|Allows us to see what sites they have visited as a result of these searches||Using location targeting we can work out where customers might be when needing a haircut||We can use these influences to target these customers with our pso|
|We can see what customers have tweeted and related status updates|
|Allows us to anticipate the needs and wants of the customers|
|Targeting Behaviour – cons||Targeting Location – cons||Targeting Psychographic – cons|
|Potentially expensive if changes are required to suit target customers||Customers may prefer privacy and not like the thought of their locations being used in terms of marketing||People easily influenced by other things that may take their attention away from our chosen pso|
|Behaviour may change over time as technologies change||Location services may change||Values and beliefs may change causing peoples preferences to differ|
The most appropriate target audiences
- Manchester has a high population of students, with The University of Manchester having the biggest student population in the country with over 40,000. This shows a lot of potential for business if the student target market is used.
- Students in the modern age show a keen interest in fashion and barbering with the traditional barber shop making a comeback in the past 3 years. This indicates that by showcasing the traditional aspect of our PSO, targeting students could be highly rewarding for the Portland Barber.
- The impact of social media on students and how it influences them has increased substantially in recent years, meaning that the influx of barber related posts across the numerous social media communications bodes well for the Portland Barber. Although not directly related to barbering, the beauty and cosmetic manufacturer Dove found that 30% of its customers were influenced by social media.
- Due to busy University timetables and part time jobs, students tend not to have much spare time so opportunities for them to get their haircut are limited.
- Students without a job will tend to have very little disposable income meaning that they may have to choose a cheaper alternative. However, the cheaper student cuts offered by Portland Barber during the week should battle this.
- As they are likely to be working full time, this means they have will have disposable income that they are able to spend on a good quality haircut.
- They will be working in the immediate area where the Portland Barbers is located meaning that they will be more likely to find them due to location services offering up the closest barbers in the City Centre.
- Maximum profit as they are not entitled to the discount price of the student cut.
- Not as easily influenced by social media, as their attention will be elsewhere due to work.
- Shorter window to get hair cut due to busy work schedule
Billy Moulds – 14006146
Alexandra Isaac – 13139638